Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

five minute friday : "listen"

today i'm linking up with lisa-jo baker and her marvelous idea of "five minute friday". every friday she gives a one word prompt. you write unscripted for five minutes flat. this friday's prompt was "listen". here goes!

--

i sit down next to my friend. warm mug of coffee in hand. we quickly get the normal questions out of the way--kids, husband, job, weather. we sink down a little deeper into our seats and hold our mugs a little closer. i prop my feet up on the edge of the chair. my heart feels like it is going to burst with all the thoughts and emotions i want to share, but i utter no words. i have an urge to fill the silence with random words strung together, but then i realize that silence is golden. and if silence is golden, listening is even better. my friend begins to unfold and share. and i listen.

i leave the coffee house that night with a different and outward perspective.

4 comments:

  1. Stopping by from 5 Minute Friday, and I love this! "We sink down a little deeper and hold our mugs a little closer" Listening is the most important part of the conversation, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sweet friend.. i can't wait to connect again - hopefully next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this describes that moment, the moment when we chose to listen and are amazed at what we hear. I find this so true with friends, my husband, and even with God. If I just wait, allow the silence to settle, it opens the door to hear something we might not have been expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Few things make me happier than a good conversation over a nice warm cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete