Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

easy homemade hummus! :: {good eats}


Alright, so raise your hand if you're a fellow hummus addict! I love, love hummus.  It's the perfect snack to pair with veggies or pitas and a great spread to add a little pizzaz to your sandwich.  The only downside is that hummus can be on the pricey side and the containers are usually teeny tiny.  I know that there are a 6-8 servings in them ... but I may have devoured almost an entire container in one sitting.  I have always wanted to make hummus and yesterday I finally got down to business and figured out a recipe that our family loves.  It's super easy and can be made with things you usually have stored away in your kitchen on any random day.



I found this recipe on kiss my spatula (one of my go-to foodie blogs).  I added a few changes like a little extra lemon juice for some extra tartness and some hot chili pepper for a little spice.  I l-o-v-e this recipe because it doesn't require you to buy an expensive jar of tahini.

So, are you ready?! ...

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup drained organic canned chickpeas, liquid reserved
  • 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/8 tsp ground tumeric 
  • juice of 1 lemon (I did 2 lemons ... you can add more as needed!)
  • chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish (I didn't have these on hand, so I left them out) 
  • paprika to sprinkle on top 
  • hot chili powder (optional)

Getting down to business: 
Put everything in your food processor and begin to process.  Test out the consistency of the hummus and add 2-3 tbsp of the chickpea liquid until you reach the consistency you like.  Taste away and adjust your seasonings to what you like (This is where I added the hot chili powder.  You could get creative and add any other of your favorite seasonings.  I'm thinking maybe dill, basil or cilantro would be good next time.)  All done!  Super easy, right?! 

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment