Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

granola. the best ever.

Every week I try to make a batch of granola for my husband and I to eat for breakfast and snacks. Not only is it way healthier than something you might buy at the store, but it also saves us money and is so unbelievably good. I made another batch the other day, and while I was eating copious amounts of it right off the baking sheet, I thought to myself ... "other people NEED this recipe!!".

So, here you go.



Ingredients
* 2 cups old fashioned oats
* 1 1/2 cups nuts/seeds of your choice (we love a mixture of almonds + pumpkin seeds)
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (i'm a cinnamon addict, so i add a little bit more)
* pinch of nutmeg
* pinch of ginger
* 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 cup dried fruit (optional)

Directions
Mix together the oats + nuts/seeds in a large bowl.
Add the olive oil + honey (or maple syrup) and stir.
Add in spices + vanilla. Stir well.
Spread the mixture out on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. (Stir every 10ish minutes to make sure everything bakes evenly.  I have forgotten to stir once or twice, and the granola comes out in larger chunks--which is nice for snacking on.  Either way you're good ... experiment!)
**If you are adding dried fruit, add it during the last 10 minutes of baking.

This kind of recipe is my favorite --- You can experiment with what different combinations of nuts or fruit you choose to add in. I usually make it with whatever we have left in our pantry. Feel free to great creative.

Also, it's so stinkin' easy!!  I can mix it together quick with a little babe playing around my feet for a few minutes during our mid-morning "search through the bottom cupboards and use bowls for hats" routine.

Enjoy!

FYI: I found this recipe about a year ago via Emma.

1 comment: