Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

love day

Today's the day. Whether you like it or not, hearts and chocolate are everywhere and love is in the air. My husband and I don't really go all out for Valentine's day. We tend to write each other a little note (which, I LOVE. Written words are make my heart melt.) and I eat some crazy amount of chocolate (so stereotypical, right?!). Last year, I was gifted with a dozen cupcakes. That was glorious. Wow.

Anyways, I guess today has me thinking a lot about relationships. Now, I've only been married for a handful of years, but I've learned quite a few lessons none-the-less. Here are my 'top ten' reminders and love lessons. These were so great for me to write out ...

1) My husband does not, and will not, complete me. He won't always make me happy and make me feel like I'm walking on clouds every where I go. Thinking through this perspective only sets me up for hurt and sets him up for failure. (I learned this the hard way.) He's human, too! God is the only one that can fill me, give me purpose, and light me up.
2) He doesn't see with the same eyes I do. I see a messy kitchen, he sees a fun family night cooking together. I see my postpartum, soft body and he sees a strong woman that he is more attracted to than ever before.
3) Ice cream is so much more fun when it's shared. and eaten out of the carton. in bed.
4) In his eyes, I'm always beautiful. Always. See it, feel it, believe it.
5) He can't read my mind. (I still forget this ...)
6) Sharing a calendar together and setting weekly tasks/goals has to happen weekly/daily.
7) Elaborate dinners don't always have to happen. Cereal with peanut butter is a life saver.
8) Raising a little boy that has the same spunk and crave for adventure (not to mention his smile!) as your husband will make you cry and melt, time and time again.
9) Believe him when you ask "are you okay? what's wrong" and he replies "Yeah, I'm fine. Nothing's wrong". He means it. Digging deeper will only frustrate you and him.
10) Have intellectual conversations over coffee, at the dinner table, and late at night in bed. Ask the hard questions. Talk about politics, faith, life, art, inspiration.
10.5) Coffee always helps any situation.
11) He doesn't mind that I don't fit the typical wife and mom mold, so I should stop trying to fit myself into it. He supports me and wants to me to be my unique self.
12) I don't have to be everything. I just need to be me. He loves me when I own that.

8 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for a post!
    Beautiful thoughts!
    Happy Love Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh meg this is amazing!

    i couldn't have listed a better 'top 12' than what you have here. every one i read i was shaking my head in agreement followed by a verbal agreement. :)

    love you girl!

    happy valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to know I'm not the only crazy woman thinking these things. :) Love you, too!!

      Delete
  3. I kinda love this. As someone not married yet, it is so nice to hear these truths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this list! I especially love number 11. I don't about you, but I put so much pressure on myself to fit the typical wife/mama roll and he just doesn't even care about those things. I find myself apologizing for silly things like "sorry we're eating boxed mac n cheese again tonight" and he responds, in his typical laid back way, with "but I love mac n' cheese!"

    Great post, Meg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! A lot of the pressures I feel are actually pressures I put on myself. It's nice to take a step back and re-evaluate what's important. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. :)

      Delete